5.19.2010

Perfect Flourless Chocolate Cake (Advanced Plan)


I eat this cake for breakfast...I'm not gonna lie! 
And you will too...

I REALLY wanted to name this cake "Chocolate Lover's Heaven and Paradise."  (I close my eyes and put my hand on my heart when I say it too!)  I changed my mind and named it "Perfect Flourless Chocolate Cake" for a couple of reasons.  First, I didn't want to run the risk of ever being called "overly-dramatic".  Second, it is pure chocolate perfection on a plate. 

This cake is so nutritious and healthy that you can feel proud of feeding it to your family knowing that even their desserts are packed full of good things!

Perfect Flourless Chocolate Cake (Advanced Plan)
Free of:  Grain, Gluten, Sugar, Dairy
Full of: Antioxidants, Choline, Good Fats, Vitamins A, E, K and D, Protein,  Selenium, Linoleic Acid

1 lb baker's chocolate chopped into small pieces
1 stick unsalted organic butter
9 large free range eggs separated
3/4 cups xylitol, plus 1 tablespoon
2 cups heavy whipping cream
Berries for topping (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter a 9 inch springform pan.

Place chocolate and butter into the top of a double boiler (or in a heatproof bowl) and heat over (not touching) about 1 inch of simmering water until melted.  Whisk the egg yolks with the xylitol in a bowl until light yellow in color.  The longer you whisk the xylitol with the egg yolks the more they will bind creating a much better cake in the end.  Whisk a little of the chocolate mixture into the egg yolk and xylitol mixture to temper the eggs.  This will keep the eggs from scrambling from the heat of the chocolate.  Then whisk in the rest of the chocolate mixture.

Beat the egg whites in a mixing bowl until stiff peaks form and fold into the chocolate mixture.  Pour into the prepared springform pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.  Cake is done when the top is set and begins to crack and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out with moist crumbs clinging to it.  Let stand 10 minutes, then remove the ring of the springform pan.

Whip the cream until it becomes light and fluffy.  Serve cake at room temperature.  Garnish with whipped cream and berries if desired.

2 comments:

  1. Let me just say, after the first bite, I placed my hand on my heart and said, "Thank you, Jesus!"

    Yes, it was that wonderful. Ohhhh, and the chocolate! On top of all that, it was good for me, too? What? Pretty much a win..win..win!!

    My Dad fell in love with it! I served it with fresh whipped cream and organic blueberries & strawberries. The recipe was very easy to follow, and in no time, you have a wonderful dessert that will satisfy every chocolate craving you could imagine! This is a recipe you'll make over and over, I promise!

    Thanks, Nicki!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're my first one to comment! Thank you. So glad you liked it. Sometimes we use the Blackberry Sauce from the Cheesecake recipe on this cake and it's pretty darn yummy!

    ReplyDelete